Things to Do in South Lake Tahoe
- Mt. Tallac Trail –
This spot has a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor as ranking number one on the list of things to do in South Lake Tahoe. From easy to rugged hiking trails with beautiful views, many travelers rate this is a must stop in California.
- Tours –
Some people use the Gondola at Heavenly as a tram for transportation, while others go on it for tour highlights and sightseeing. During the winter, avid skiers ride the gondola to get to the top of the mountain. Plus, it’s a great family friendly stop, once at the top, there are rope courses and other activities for youngsters. The Tahoe Queen is a tour ship that takes you on half day trips across the beautiful waters and another favorite for travelers. There are even speedy boat tours, or you could go extreme and take a helicopter tour or balloon ride! You’ll feel like you’re on top of the world!
- Lower Eagle Falls –
See gorgeous waterfalls on an easy hiking trail, perfect for even the beginners. Enjoy a popular family destination with beautiful views, perfect for some really cool photos!
- Ice Arena –
Whether you like to play ice hockey or ice skate, the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena has indoor and outdoor rinks for some athletic fun! It is the only year round full sized sheet of ice in Reno/Tahoe area and offers a variety of arena programs, so be sure to stop by and lace up the skates!
- Art Galleries –
The DeRubeis Art Gallery specializes in the art of metal and have fascinating 3-D paintings appropriate for all ages. Wyland Galleries is another great spot to admire some fine art in Tahoe. Other places like Marcus Ashley Fine Art Gallery offer paintings, sculptures, statues, glass art and a wide selection of pieces you can even purchase!
- Skiing –
With nine major ski resorts in the area of Lake Tahoe, travelers who love hitting the slopes will have no problem finding enjoyment on a trip here! With some amazing runs and unparalleled beauty all around, vacationers will want to come back again and again. For an interactive map of the ski resorts in the area, check out this site: “Ski Lake Tahoe Map”
- Spas –
More than 10 spas have locations dotted all around Lake Tahoe, some with lakefront views, and if you need to de-stress or just want to spend a day being pampered, Lake Tahoe can be a perfect place to do so. This is also another reason it makes for such a great “Girl’s Getaway”
- Mt. Tallac Trail –
What To Pack
Many people find it hard to adjust to the altitude change, even if they’re not climbing mountains. Be mindful of how you can acclimatize to the altitude. Air in the mountains is drier than at sea level, so often times travelers will take the following: saline nasal spray, moisturizers and eye drops. Make sure to pack clothing based on the weather temperatures listed above. Chances are, you’ll never regret packing that sweater just in case, even in the hotter times of the year, because it drops pretty low at night. If you plan on hiking, don’t forget to pack your gear like boots! For more packing hacks, check out our Sundance Vacations Packing Tips video.
The Transportation Management Association will have all the information you need on transit options in South Lake Tahoe. There are private car and charter services available, taxi services as well as airport shuttle. People will often take shuttles or buses, but renting a car is preferable once you land for making long trips. If you’re staying local, make sure to learn about the bus schedule. Check out this article on our Sundance Vacations Blog for some tips on how you could save money on a rental car if that’s what you’re considering doing.
- January- USASA Snowboard Races, Sierra Stomp
- February- Mardi Gras, Chevy Trucks Family Fest, The Winter Party at Lake Tahoe
- March- Celebrity Winterfest, Torchlight Parade and Fireworks
- April- Gunbarrel 25, Superpark Sundays
- May- Cinco de Mayo, Reno River Festival
- June- Minden Rotary Hot Air Balloon Race, Valhalla Renaissance Faire
- July- Tahoe Trail Running Series, Lake Tahoe Dance Festival
- August- Dueling Pianos, Nine & Wine Golf
- September- Heavenly Village Days on Labor Day Car Show, Lake Tahoe Craft Beer Fest, The Great Lake Tahoe Bike Race & Ride
- October- Fall Fish Fest, Lake Tahoe Marathon
|Transportation to Destination
|Amount of Time
|Drive to Spanish Springs
|Drive to Cold Springs
|Drive to Carson City
|Drive to Fernley
|Drive to Dayton
|Drive to Tahoe National Forest
|1 hour 4 Minutes
California DestinationsCheck out our destinations in California!
- The name Tahoe comes from a mispronunciation of the Washoe Native American name for Lake Tahoe, da ow a ga, translating, “edge of the lake.”
- The length of Lake Tahoe is 21.2 miles (north to south) and it is 11.9 miles wide (east to west).
- Lake Tahoe is over 2 million years old. Tahoe is recognized as one of the 20 oldest lakes in the world.
- One out of every eight United States residents lives in California.
- The poppy is the official state flower of California while the California Grizzly Bear is the official state animal.