Things to Do in Wisconsin Dells
- Hit the Waterparks –
Be sure to bring your swimsuit! Wisconsin Dells has over 20 waterparks in the area and has become the self proclaimed, “Waterpark Capital of the World!” The area is home to both the largest outdoor park, Noah’s Ark Waterpark, and the largest indoor park, Kalahari Resort. This destination can be a blast for children and parents alike!
- Try Your Luck at the Casino –
Ho-Chunk Gaming has one of their six locations within minutes of Wisconsin Dells. The casino portion of the attraction offers slots, table games and off-track horse racing. The facility also has an on-site spa, numerous restaurants and live entertainment. Check out their website here: “Ho-Chunk Gaming in Wisconsin Dells”
- Rick Wilcox Magic and Comedy-
As the top-rated thing to do in Wisconsin Dells, by Tripadvisor, the Rick Wilcox Magic and Comedy show, offers 90 minutes of both hilarious comedy and spellbinding magic! The show is updated every year with new and interesting illusions and you can even get autographs from the stars after the show! This awe-inspiring production is great for everyone and is near all of Wisconsin Dell’s major attractions.
- See Some Exotic Wildlife –
The Timbavati Wildlife Park, located right in Wisconsin Dells, is a 15-acre park that hosts 55 species of animals. Tigers, leopards, giraffes, kangaroos and even penguins are all available for the public to see. Kids can also watch pig races, ride a camel, watch education animal presentations and more! For more animal fun, visit the Wisconsin Dells Deer Park.
- Kayaking, Canoeing and Hiking –
Wisconsin Dells is a great place to experience the outdoors. Travelers can kayak or canoe on the Wisconsin River, seeing some of the most beautiful scenery along the way. Vertical Illusions is a great guided service that will get you out on the water. For hiking, travelers can hit one of the many state parks in the area, some of these include: Devil’s Lake and Mirror Lake.
- Visit the Fawn Creek Winery –
This local winery gives travelers the chance at tasting and learning more about wines as well as the ability to purchase it right then and there. The winery also offers live music on certain days, which can make for a perfect way to spend your day! Visit their website here: “Fawn Creek Winery”
What To Pack
Depending on the time of year that you head to this destination will determine what outerwear you will need to bring. In the summer, the area is warm, but can be chilly at night. Meaning you will need shorts and T-shirts, but it’s also a smart idea to bring a sweatshirt and long pants too. In the winter, the Dells can be a very cold location. Hats, heavy coats, boots and gloves are recommended. If you are doing outdoor activities in the summer, be sure to bring waterproof sunscreen (works well for the kids at the waterparks too!) and some bug spray. If you are hitting the waterparks, bring towels, a book for yourself while the kids have fun in the water, waterproof containers or bags and, of course, your bathing suits! Don’t forget to packing hiking boots as there are a number of places for it in the Dells.
Wisconsin Dells is a mostly rural destination that will require travelers to have some mode of transportation. The closest commercial airport is the Dane Country Regional Airport — MSN — which has direct flights to most major cities and is located in Madison, Wisconsin, just about 50 miles southeast. The area does have some taxi services as well as in and out-of-state buses, but a car would be the best method for travelers to get around. Should you decide to rent a car, and want to save some money on it, check out this article on our Sundance Vacations Travel Blog, “Ten Tips for Saving Money on Rental Cars”
- May – Automotion Classic Car Festival
- June – Taste of the Dells
- July – Wisconsin Dells 4th of July Celebration
- September – Wo-Zha-Wa Days Fall Festival
- October – Fall Festival Weekend
- November – A Vintage Christmas at Wollersheim Winery
|Transportation to Destination||Amount of Time|
|Drive to Madison WI||1 Hour|
|Drive to Lake Michigan||2 Hours|
|Drive to Milwaukee WI||2 Hours|
|Drive to Green Bay WI||2 Hours 25 Minutes|
|Drive to Minneapolis MN||3 Hours 15 Minutes|
Wisconsin Dells Destinations3Check out our destinations in Wisconsin!
Travelers May Also Like
- With 18 indoor waterparks and three outdoor waterparks in the Dells area, this destination proclaims itself the, “Waterpark Capital of the World”
- Noah’s Ark Waterpark is the largest outdoor waterpark in America. It has over 70 acres of waterslides!
- The Dells is also home to the nation’s largest indoor waterpark resort, Kalahari Resort (125,000 square feet).
- Wisconsin Dells is the number one tourism spot in all of Wisconsin, welcoming nearly 5 million visitors each year.
- The city was founded in 1856 and was originally named Kilbourn City. The name was changed in 1931 to Wisconsin Dells.